Have you ever found yourself stuck in an overwhelming task, with no idea what to do next, while the deadline for moving to Orange County is coming closer and closer? If the answer is no, lucky you, and if the answer is yes, we are so sorry for the stress you had to go through, but here is some good news. You won’t ever have to repeat that process again. At least when moving houses is in question. OC Moving Services prepared a perfect moving checklist for you to use. Dreadful, stressful, and overwhelming moving weeks will be just a part of your past.
8 weeks until the moving day
- (1) Visit or thoroughly google your new neighborhood
- (2) Explore your moving options
- (3) Set up a budget
- (4) Make up a list of questions for when hiring professional movers
- (5) Notify friends and family you will need their help
- (6) Discuss the move with your kids
- (7) Start researching schools
- (8) Find a new roommate
- (9) Notify your landlord about your move
7 weeks until the moving day
- (10) Get estimates from a few different moving companies and compare
- (11) Book a truck rental
- (12) Reserve a storage unit
6 weeks until the moving day
- (13) Book your professional movers
- (14) Get moving supplies
- (15) Make airline, hotel, and car reservations for a long-distance move
- (16) Contact health, car, and home insurance providers
- (17) Notify schools of your move
5 weeks until the moving day
- (18) Start emptying food supplies; donate non-perishable food
- (19) Set up a packing plan
- (20) Declutter. Throw away, sell, and donate rarely used belongings
- (21) Schedule appliances service company
- (22) End or transfer memberships (gym/club/community organizations)
4 weeks until the moving day
- (23) Remind your friends you are moving by throwing a moving away party
- (24) Start packing and don’t forget to label your boxes
- (25) Dispose of flammable and hazardous items
- (26) Confirm the date and arrival time of your professional packers and movers
- (27) Take care of temporary housing at the new location
- (28) Service your car
- (29) Schedule car shipping service
3 weeks until the moving day
- (30) Cancel or transfer housekeeping, landscaping, and pool maintenance services
- (31) Transfer utilities
- (32) Change social security, medicare, and regular mail receiving address
- (33) Take care of unpaid parking tickets and bills
- (34) Decide on what to do with younger kids and pets on the moving day
- (35) Decide on what to do with plants if you are moving long-distance
2 weeks until the moving day
- (36) Forward medical records and transfer your prescriptions
- (37) Update your bank account and your credit card billing address
- (38) Reserve a parking spot for the moving truck
- (39) Decide on where will each piece of furniture go at your new place
- (40) Schedule necessary repairs and paint services for your new home
- (41) Order new furniture and decorations
- (42) Take your pets to the vet and transfer their records as well
- (43) Request time off from work
1 week until the moving day
- (44) Finish up the packing process
- (45) Take care of leftover errands
- (46) Clean your old place
- (47) Inspect the place with your landlord
- (48) Make arrangements for final trash and recycling pick up
1 day until your move
- (49) Pack the essentials
- (50) Get cash for tipping your motivated movers
- (51) If you share a driveway, notify your neighbors you are moving tomorrow
- (52) Place all appliance manuals and warranties in one place for the new owners
- (53) Prepare water, juices, and snacks for tomorrow
The moving day
- (55) Take inventory
- (56) Do a final check of the whole place
- (57) Hand over the keys to the landlord or the new owners
The hardest part is done. Yes, there are a few more details to finish up. If you are moving by yourself, don’t let the unpacking process go on for too long, but it is fine if you take a day or two to rest. Make sure to visit your new city’s government site to check if any additional paperworks needs to be done. After that, all you need to do is enjoy the new home. You deserved it.
If you are having trouble understanding what some of these tasks mean, here is a list of frequently asked questions that might help you.
Should I hire professional movers or have a diy moving experience? (2)
This is why OC Moving Services put “Explore your options”, at the second place on this list. It will determine how the rest of the process will go. There is no better option, but there is an option that suits your needs more. Set your priorities. If efficiency and time saving is on top of your list, hiring professional movers can be better for you. On the other hand, if flexibility and saving money is more important, one diy project is ahead of you.
There is a third, middle ground, option that might suit your lifestyle best. Why not hire labor only movers or pay just for the packing service, do the rest on your own and save money and time simultaneously?
Can the moving date affect the cost? (3)
Yes! It definitely can. Have you ever heard of the term “Peak of the moving season”? From March to September the demand for moving companies is much higher than the rest of the year, thus the prices go up too. Day of the month is also important. Choose weekdays rather than weekends for booking your affordable movers. If you can coordinate everything with your work and/or school schedule, one Monday in cold December will be the best money saving option.
What is the most important fact I should know about movers before hiring them? (4)/(10)/(13)
One and the most important thing to find out about your potential moving company is if they are licensed and insured. Licensed movers are legally allowed to operate their business in the state and should have a license number to prove it. Mistakes are not so common with trained movers but if they do happen and some of your things end up damaged, the insurance will take care of it. You will be compensated. If you can’t find any proof and the relocation specialist is not giving you any proper answers about these two, RUN. You don’t want to be robbed of your belongings and money.
Is it true that movers don’t move certain items? (25)/(35)
Unfortunately the answer is yes. There are some things movers won’t move. Make sure to ask your relocation specialist to give you a list of these things, so you could take care of them on time. It will probably contain these items:
-plants (long-distance move)
-any kind of chemicals
-lighter and charcoal fluid
-explosives and ammunition
-gasoline, oil, coolant, and brake fluid
What are “essentials”? (49)
Consider every item you’ll need throughout the moving day and as soon as you move in. You don’t want to search for your toothbrush or even worse toilet paper in a pile of full boxes. Mark one box or a bag as “essentials” and keep it separated from the rest. It should contain a toothbrush, toilet paper, toothpaste, shower essentials, pajamas, clothes for the next day, a few snacks and water bottles, pets food, chargers, medicine, and all important documents.
I have too much stuff and not so much space at my new apartment. All of my things are valuable to me. Is there a way to keep everything? (12)/(20)
Storage units are the answer you are looking for. This is not an option just for people who are moving into a smaller space and have a lot of things they still want to keep. It’s not always possible to coordinate your moving timelines.
You may be forced to leave your current residence while your new one is still not ready for moving in. Leave your things in a storage unit and crash at your friends while you’re waiting. OC Moving Service has a great in and out of storage moving service. Our relocation specialist will give you more detailed description and answer all your questions
What is the best labeling system? (24)
Our OC Moving Services movers have seen a lot of labeling systems while working for our clients, but this one seems to be most efficient.
- Prepare colorful sharpies and assign a color for each room. Purple will be your living room, green for the kitchen, blue for the bathroom, and so on.
- As you pack your things, on the side of every box, write down what you put in it and clearly mark it with the right colored sharpie.
This way, the whole unpacking process will be much faster and more efficient, because you’ll know right away where each box goes.
How can I pack, if taking more than one day off from work is impossible? (24)/(44)
This is why “Start packing” is under “4 weeks until the moving day”. You want to start on time. Go little by little, before and after work, box by box. Start with rooms and things you use the least and leave essentials for the end. If it seems you won’t be able to make it on time, call friends and family members to give you a hand. Make sure you are free at least that one day the actual moving will be happening.
What can I do to make sure I’m getting my apartment deposit back? (46)/(47)
Check your entire apartment a few weeks before the move so you have enough time for necessary repairs. After you pack, make sure to clean everything, from floor to ceiling. Go with your landlord in the last inspection to ensure there are no shady businesses going around.
Hire OC Moving Services to Help You Relocate to Orange County
If you have any more questions, OC Moving Services are here for you. Give us a call, email us or get a free quote on our website. Let us show you what reliable, professional, yet affordable movers can do for you. We will make your life easier and the moving process stress free. Enjoy your morning coffee while we pack and move your belongings.